Having an automated business (that is one that can run by itself) is the goal of every entrepreneur. As it is an indicator of business growth.
However, one of the major challenges to this particularly in a product based business is theft. That is having some of your goods unaccounted for which can lead to financial losses.
Hence, there is a need to put measures in place in order to safeguard your business.
Stock taking is a major tool that you can use in monitoring sales and
Types of Stock taking.
Four types of stock taking are examined here;
1. Routine stock taking :
This involves taking stocks at regular intervals. This may be done daily at the close of business or weekly or any scheduled time.
2. Delegated stock taking :
this implies holding someone accountable for each item accepted into the inventory. This type of stock taking becomes inevitable as the business begins to grow. So, the inventory manager accounts for any missing item.
3. Unplanned stock taking:
This is perhaps the most efficient form of stock taking. Here, you take stock unannounced when your staffs are not expecting you. This is very essential if you as the business owner are not always on ground. It keeps your staffs in check as they can not predict when the stock taking will take place.
4. Computerized stock taking : occurs in firms where each item has been labelled is recognized by the computer. Technology
Tips to effective stock taking.
1. Make it an habit right from the onset of your business so that it becomes an organizational culture as your business begins to grow.
2. Do not be too trusting. Always remember that business is business.
3. If your business engages in credit sales, ensure there is a pattern for documenting and tracking such. So that bad staffs will not be stealing from you under the disguise of credit sales.
4. Please be kind to your staffs so that you can they can be loyal to you.
5. Try and ensure that there is a receipt for every or almost every transaction that occurs in your office/shop.
6. Try as much as possible to encourage e-payment in order to reduce cash payment.
You can share your thoughts with me in the comment section.